Benefits of a Diesel Tuning box over a Remap (tuning chip)
We often get posed the question, why should I choose a tuning box over a remap? Isn’t a remap better?
Its a common statement that remaps are better than tuning boxes, but we believe that is not at all the case. The difference in performance is small and often nothing (especially with the cheaper remaps). There are many features of diesel tuning boxes that are advantageous to having a full ECU remap. These are:
- As an ECU remap re-writes the manufacturers file on the ECU, it is a permanant upgrade and will void any manufacture warranty. (unless you pay again for another remap to put it back to normal)
- A diesel tuning box can, in most cases, be fitted and removed very easily and won’t cause any warranty issues. You can have your vehicle back to original in minutes. The inclusion of an on/off remote with our tuning boxes means the car can be back to original with the touch of a button.
- An ECU remap gives you one tuning type, its tuned and thats it (this also applies to many of our competitors tuning boxes).
The Speedhawk boxes come with 9 pre loaded tuning maps to ensure you can get the most efficient results . By getting the most efficient tuning from your engine will result in the most power and the best fuel economy.
- Good ECU remaps will cost in excess of £500. However even the poorer ECU remaps cost over £300. That remap will only apply to your current car. Change your car and thats another £300 to get it remapped.
With our tuning boxes, you can move them from one car to the next with minimal or no cost. Sometimes a new harness is needed and sometimes the tuning box may need to be reprogrammed. Often the tuning box can be directly swapped from car to car so your new car is tuned for free. Compared to ECU remapping that is a saving of….£300! (more for the better remaps).
- Being completely plug and play, our tuning boxes have the added advantage that they cannot be wiped when your car goes in for a service. This cuts out a lot of hassle and saves money if the remapping company charges for every reinstall!
We understand that some people prefer ECU remaps and of course they are also effective, but we believe both remaps and tuning boxes have their place in the market.